Kentchurch Court is considered to be one of the most important historic houses in England. It is also the ancestral home of the Scudamore family.
Nestling under Garway Hill in the Monnow Valley, Kentchurch Court has been in the Lucas-Scudamore family for almost 1,000 years. The current house dates to the 14th century although the family can trace its roots back further to 1042, when. Ralph Scudamore came over to Herefordshire from Normandy, building a castle in Ewyas Harold for Edward the Confessor.
Kentchurch Court forms part of a wider estate covering some 5,000 acres. It is first and foremost a family home, run by Jan Lucas-Scudamore and her family, who are the current custodians from a long line of Scudamores that have lived in this famous house.
Whilst still a private estate, the gardens and house are now open to the public on specific days during the year. The house and grounds are available for private functions.
Throughout the winter, our head gardener, Tristan Gregory will continue working in the Rhododendron Wood restoring the original water feature to provide another peaceful haven for the garden visitor.
Many thanks to our volunteers, Barbara Morris, Judith Morgan, Jo Gregory and Kym Wilcocks, who help with the endless weeding and dead heading!! If anyone would like to join the team, please get in touch.
Kentchurch Court "One of the best 12 Secret Gardens in the U.K."
We are now taking bookings for next season