The gardens at Kentchurch Court have developed over the years since John Lucy Scudamore inherited the house in 1815. Much of the 25 acre gardens roots can be found in the picturesque landscape style, popular during that period.
The rose (Gertrude Jekyll) and purple nepita surround the base and wall next to the 14th century arch.
The Rhododendron Wood
Under a canopy of mature trees, rhododendrons and azaleas, planted by Jack Lucas Scudamore in the late 1950s, provide for the rhododendron connoisseur an interesting collection, flowering from February through to May.Terraces, bridges, cascades and dams have been discovered to the north of the garden
Snowdrops, wild daffodils and bluebells along with many woodland plants, create a delightful spring walk.
In the autumn, maples continue to provide colour and interest.
The Walled Garden
The recently created borders in the walled garden house a comprehensive collection of geraniums, digitalis, nepeta, rudbekia and many other plant families. There is always something new to see from the first hellebores through to the last of the asters.
Many of the plants are grown on the Estate and are available for sale in the nursery.
The Vegetable Garden
To the south the terraced lawns lead to a mature apple orchard, under planted with alliums and tulips. Herbaceous borders open out on to a working vegetable garden providing produce to the house throughout the year.
To encourage pollination of the vegetables, sweet peas, roses and clematis are grown throughout the vegetable plots. Together with supporting structures these plants help to create a pleasant environment both to walk through and work in.
The Deer Park
The deer park, a former Royal hunting ground originally belonged to the Knights Templar. The deer park was purchased by the Scudamores in 1547 from the Knights Hospitallers of the Commandery of Dinmore.
As well as some 250 fallow deer, the park also contains many ancient trees - Yew, Sweet Chestnut and some of the largest Field Maples in England and not forgetting the famous 'Jack of Kent's' Oak tree.